Monday, July 8, 2013

Hand Pies, For the Win!

Hello all! I hope that all is going well for you guys. The summer is winding down, but I'm still working on the blueberry theme, as I promised in my last post. The past three weeks have been very...interesting to say the least, and a lot has changed in my life in that time. I had my surgery on July 23rd, and have been recovering as I should since that time - all is going well, thank goodness :-) In addition, tomorrow is my first full day of living life as a college graduate and working adult, as I start my first real job with GlaxoSmithKline (a pharmaceutical company). I can't wait to get started!!

But I digress. This week's recipe is for blueberry hand pies, which are basically calzone-shaped portable pies and is really easy to make. If you made the blueberry jam from my last post, and have some of the tart crust recipe from the A Sweet Little Tart post, you can make these little treasures whenever you want!

Blueberry Hand Pies

1 recipe of my Tart Crust
Blueberry jam
1 egg

1.) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

2.) Once the dough had chilled, roll it out to about an 1/8" in thickness, then use a round mold to cut out dough circles

3.) Beat the egg lightly to form the egg wash, then place a small amount of jam in the center of the dough circle, bush on a little egg wash, then fold the dough over and press to seal the edges. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet.

4.) Once the hand pies have all been made, brush on a little more egg wash on top of each one, then place the pan in the oven.

5.) Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown, then allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before eating.



Like I said, this recipe is really easy to make, especially if you have the crust and jam already made. You can use the store-bought versions to make it even easier. My adviceis to make sure that your kitchen is not too hot; otherwise, the dough will get sticky and hard to shape. I hope that you give this recipe a try, and remember: live life, and eat well!

No comments:

Post a Comment